When it comes to home expenses, they can add up fast! With all of the bills we receive each month, every dollar saved is helpful. Here are a few tips to help you save some money on your monthly electric bill:
- Lower your water heater thermostat to 120°. Most water heater thermostats are set to 140°, which is hotter than a majority of people need. It also requires more energy, so to reduce excess cost, turn the temperature down.
- Utilize power strips to reduce wasted power. Appliances that are off or in standby mode can still draw power. Plug multiple items into the strip, which can be turned off, and ensure that all of the items plugged in are not using any power.
- Assist in regulating your home’s temperature. In the summer, close curtains to keep the temperature down. In the winter, closed curtains will also keep heat in.
- Turn off appliances that are not in use and unplug ones that are used infrequently.
- Ensure you close doors and windows when heating or cooling your home.
- Install a programmable thermostat to regulate and reduce your energy costs. For example, you may not need as much heat on during the day if no one is home or through the night as you sleep.
- Swap outdated light bulbs out for LED bulbs. Also, ensure you’re using the right wattage for your appliances and light fixtures to avoid causing electrical damage.
- Have a home electrical inspection done. You will be informed of any electrical issues in your home, which could be causing your home to be energy inefficient. Our electricians will inspect and ensure your home is safe and electrically sound.
Questions? Contact Theta Electric for all of your electrical needs!
For even more tips and information on energy savings, check out the Energy Saver from the U.S. Department of Energy.