Malfunctioning Panels and Breakers
Electrical panels and breakers should last for many years, however they will not last forever. Malfunctioning panels and breakers are dangerous and should be inspected for repair or replacement. The expert electricians at Theta Electric can help you with this. We offer services for electrical inspections, installations, service and repair in Tampa, St. Petersburg and surrounding areas.
This is an electrical panel at an apartment complex. It was made by a manufacturer called Zinsco in the 1960s and 1970s. These are a known problem, and many fail now and do not trip on over current. Please use this website as a reference tool http://www.ismypanelsafe.com/zinsco.aspx.
Sylvania and FPE (Federal Pacific Electric) are also panels that have similar problems. Currently, insurance companies do not insure homes with these panels if it is known to them.
This particular one would not trip the top breaker (here shown in the off position). Instead, the main breaker at the service outside tripped. What is wrong with that, you ask?
The only reason the 100A main breaker tripped was that the circuit was the Range circuit, on a large 40A breaker with large wires, and the fault was a complete short circuit drawing more than 100A. This meant that the wires did not burn through before the 100A breaker tripped. The 40A breaker in the panel should trip first, to protect the wires. In all our tests and fault-finding, the 40A breaker did not trip once.
If the faulty circuit was rated less, say 20A or 30A with thinner wires, or the If fault was not a complete short circuit drawing over 100A, a fire would result. The thinner wires would quickly overheat and burn.
Theta Electric Offers the Following Benefits to Our Customers
- Dedicated Contracting and Service Divisions.
- Experienced contractors that work to schedule. We make the GC look good and get the clients Certificate of Occupancy on Time.
- Our goal is to find the real source of the problem and promptly repair it. We are capable & experienced in diagnosing faulty wiring. Our electricians have the ability to see even the smallest detail in electrical wiring installation. We can quickly spot faulty wiring & overloaded circuits both inside and outside.
- Our electricians are certified professionals trained to do the job right the first time. All our electricians are trained and experienced in all types of electrical wiring, installations and repairs.
- We are a Drug Free Workplace, and all our staff have passed a national criminal background check. This means you are safe with our electricians in your home or business.
- Rapid Response Time. With Theta Electric you don’t have to wait days or weeks to get your electrical wiring repaired. You can expect our technicians to arrive within a designated window of time and get the job done quickly.
- Fair Prices. We will provide an estimate after we have done our inspection, so you have no surprises about the cost of the work.
- Guaranteed Electrical Services. We guarantee our work! If there is a problem, just let us know and we will handle it immediately.